My Language Learning Techniques

Welcome back! 💕💕

Today I will introduce you to the techniques I use to study foreign languages. You might find them particularly useful if you are learning a language yourself or if you are thinking of taking up a language in the future.


Just please remember that these techniques work for me; therefore they may not work for everybody

I don't want to bore you with a ridiculously long introduction, so let me get right to it...💪



1. Vocal Repetition
Vocal repetition is known as one of the most effective ways of transferring information from short term memory into long term memory. I have been using this technique for years and it works wonders! I find it particularly useful once I complete a chapter in my book and I want to be confident with the vocabulary listed at the end before moving on. Also, it forces you to say things out loud just like you would in a real life situation, which is vitally important. Very often, I know how to communicate in a certain language, but I don't have the courage to do so, as I don't use many languages that I learn in my every-day life and I'm simply worried that I won't sound natural.  

This technique is the most effective for memorising individual words or phrases, but also dates, names, and many more. You have just got to give it time, and don't expect to remember everything straight away... BUT IT DOES WORK! 

2. My 'Memory Type' 
If you are studying for your exams or trying to learn how to speak in a particular language, very often you will have to learn things 'off by heart'. Although, this isn't an ideal way of learning a language, there are certain things, such as parts of the grammar, that you just need to remember in order to speak correctly. In order to do so you will need to work out how your brain effectively memorises information. 

I personally have a photographic memory. I cannot recall each image with extreme accuracy (only a few people can!) but it allows me to remember lots of random information just from memorising the page and how the information is laid out. Some people, on the other hand, remember through sounds or images that they associate with the piece of information they are trying to memorise. If you would like to know what works best for you, just experiment a little by using various methods to memorise a piece of information.
The most common types are: photographic, associating information with an object/sound/emotion/touch, repetition, various (practical) activities. 


Please remember that the information I provide is based on my own experiences; I am not a psychologist nor trying to be one. 

3. Using new vocabulary in real life
As we all know, learning a new language can be a little bit daunting. As much as I love it, I do sometimes struggle with remembering some of the words or verb conjugations. When I first began my journey with languages, I thought that simply writing everything down would 'teach' me how to use the language. However, with time I realised that linguistics is not like any other subject we learn in school. In this case, you cannot just 'memorise' a language. You've got to know how to use it correctly, which you learn through practice

I understand that you may be learning a language that isn't spoken in your country; therefore it is difficult to stay on top of it and successfully memorise and remember everything you learn from your books or podcasts. However, what nobody can take away from you are your thoughts. 

When I do things throughout the day, I try to think about how I would say them or talk about them in a particular language. Of course I don't say it out loud if I am with someone or when talking to someone; however I try to think about it. The reason why I find it useful is because I often associate that word or phrase with that particular situation or activity and I am more likely to remember it in the future. 

4. 'Diving' into the language
As I mentioned earlier, it can be hard to achieve any progress with your language if you can't use it in your daily life. However, this doesn't mean that you can't expose yourself to it. 
One thing in particular that helps me improve my understanding of the language is watching or listening to videos, movies, songs or podcasts in that language. 

In this case, it does not matter if you don't understand what they are saying. What you are doing in fact, is getting used to the natural sound of that language. I also noticed that the more I practice learning the words and phrases through saying them out loud, the easier my brain finds it to pick up on those words when listening to a song or watching a movie. I believe it is something that our mind does unconsciously, but the more you listen the more familiar some words will sound to you. This technique also improves your pronunciation in the future, as you are exposing yourself to the natural sound of the language. 

5. Learn the words/phrases you find the most interesting
This may sound a little bit silly, but it's true. If you are not the self-motivated type of person or if you like to see quick results, then this technique is ideal for you. Before you decide to invest into new language books or online courses or whatever it may be, 'check the language out', by learning some words or phrases you think you would like to know the most. Personally, this technique doesn't apply to me, as I'm a self-motivated person, but some of you might find it useful. It will give you a 'taste' of the language before you commit yourself to it.

6. Flash Cards
I think you've all come across this technique before. Flash cards are nice additional tool you can use to test your vocabulary knowledge. I normally create a set of flash cards for each chapter in my book and attach each set to my notes. This means that if I ever want to do a review, I can grab the cards and test myself in two ways: translating from my mother tongue to (e.g. Korean) and vice versa. 
I also write some questions down on one side and possible answers on the other to see how well I can structure my responses in that particular language. 

7. Multiple notebooks
I'm not sure if this is a 'technique' as such; however multiple notebooks help me to keep my work organised and easier to refer to. For example, I have a separate notebook for the Korean alphabet and sound changes, another notebook for my online material, another for my textbook, another for vocabulary and a folder for any printouts, tests and any other additional information/resources. 
The way you organise your work is up to you; however I would not suggest to keep all of your work in only one notebook, as it might start confusing you after a while, but as I said, it's up to you. :) 

8. Learning less but at a faster pace
Many of us like to see quick results and that's normal. However, the process of learning a language requires a lot of patience, motivation and practice. Whenever I sit down with a book and paper, I don't just jump onto the next chapter in the book. I spend an extra day going over everything I have learnt so far to make sure I know it perfectly. I do this, because I find it more satisfying to know a little bit, but know it perfectly, than to cover lots of chapters in the book and then realise I know almost nothing. 

It can be very boring sometimes, but at least I know I am confident to move on and build on my current knowledge. You might find this particularly useful if you don't have much experience with languages, but you are eager to learn as much as you can as quickly as you can. Just remember that although there are many polyglots out there, they've also had to spend some time learning boring grammar concepts and vocabulary they didn't find interesting...
But remember that you can also get that far as long as you equip yourself with some patience! 💕💕 

So, that's all from me! These are the main techniques I personally find the most effective. Please leave a comment or message me on Instagram if you would like to share your opinion or ask a question. 
Please, also message me if you would like to share your own techniques with me, as I would love to learn more and experiment a little with other techniques! 

Hope you have a good day! 💙


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Idea Behind This Blog

Exam Prep? Just a few things to consider.